Guest Review: The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli


30653853
Title: The Upside of Unrequited
Author: Becky Albertalli
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Hardcover, 336 Pages
Published April 2017


Summary: Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful. Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back. There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?
Today on the blog we have a guest review from Esther over at Bite Into Books! In honor of it being a whole year since The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli (famous author of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, if the name sounds familiar!), it's time to host a guest review featuring this fabulous book. So let's get into it!


My Thoughts
If you want to read a nice YA/Contemporary that is light and just fun to read, this is the book to pick! I rushed through and I just ENJOYED. It's such a cute, feelgood book that leaves you with a smile.


Pros

GOT, LOTR, HP: I LOVE the references in this book. Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, it's all there! I'm such a big fangirl and I can immediately feel a connection with a character if they're a fan of the same things that I am. I love when authors know a lot of the books and TV Shows/Movies that I also enjoyed.

Text messages and emoticons: I'm a person that uses text messages and emoticons a lot. I love reading books that contain emails or text messages, because I can relate. Molly talks in emoticons a lot and that's so much fun, because you recognize the emoticon and feel yet another bond with a character!

Feel good book: Like I said; This is just a book to lay back, relax and enjoy the ride. The book left me with a satisfactory feeling and a big happy smile on my face.

Characters: I love the different characters in this book and how strong they are. The characters are really thought through and have a lot of personality even in the way they talk. I felt a good connection with a lot of the characters. That's the main reason I enjoyed the book a lot.


Cons

Not mind blowing: This book isn't mind blowing. It doesn't stir up big emotions and it doesn't have big plot twists as well. That's why I gave it 4 stars and not 5.


Overall

A great book for the YA/Contemporary fans out there. It's actually 336 pages but doesn't feel like that at all. You rush through and can just enjoy the well shaped characters and nice story line. Definitely worth laying back and making you forget the world around you.

We'd like to once again thank Esther for stopping by The Book Bratz today to post this guest review. You can read the original review over on their blog by clicking HERE!



** Psst! Interested in guest reviewing on The Book Bratz? Shoot us an email at thebookbratz@gmail.com or DM us on Twitter (@thebookbratz) and we'd love to have you!

3 comments

  1. I totally agree with this review! It was cute and fun and enjoyable, but it lacks a little something that would push it to 5 stars. Still--the rep in this book is great and the nerdy references are precious (even if I didn't get all of them)! Wonderful review, Esther!

    ~Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for placing up this post, I feel every person will thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️