ARC Review: Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers

Title: Truest 
Author: Jackie Lea Sommers 
Genre: Contemporary, Romance 
Source: Edelweiss 
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: September 1st 2015
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-Order it on Amazon

Summary: 
Silas Hart has seriously shaken up Westlin Beck's small-town life. Brand new to town, Silas is different than the guys in Green Lake. He's curious, poetic, philosophical, maddening-- and really, really cute. But Silas has a sister-- and she has a secret. And West has a boyfriend. And life in Green Lake is about to change forever.

Review: 


*The review does contain spoilers*


The summary really didn't give me much to go on about this story. It was a book I requested a long time ago, was interested in and then when it came time to read it I didn't want to anymore. I am glad I made myself read it though. I would have been crazy to miss this gem. I am going to mention one important thing though: There is a minor detail of cheating. It isn't bad, but I know a lot of people have no tolerance for it. 

I liked West for the most part. She is from a small town where everyone knows everyone, her dad is the pastor, and her summer car is detailing cars. She is pretty simple. West had been dating Elliot for the past two years, life was comfortable for her. Then she meets Silas, who is new to town and his twin sister who is a little on the strange side. It is pretty much hate at first sight. West couldn't wait to get away from him, to never see his face again. Until her dad offers Silas to be West's detailing assistant. As summer goes on West and Silas grow closer, and Silas's sister comes out of her shell a bit. But suddenly West has all these questions about herself, and the world that she never had before she knew Silas. 

I would have liked West more if she didn't constantly flirt with Silas and lead him on while she was still with Elliot. Poor Elliot, he was planning the rest of his life to be with West when she was making heart eyes at Silas. Imagining how he kisses and ect. Eventually West does end things with Elliot, and peruses Silas. Here is what annoyed me: West made a point to tell us that her and Elliot haven't had sex yet. Which, she explains to being afraid, and her dad being the pastor and all. Which I totally got. But then when the moment arises for her and Silas she dives head first with out any questions. Giving a boy she only knew for a few months her virginity. The moment she mentioned it in the first chapter I knew what was going to happen. It wasn't a shock, more of just "when is it going to happen" sort of thing. I loved the constant banter between West and Silas, there were so many moments where I was laughing out loud at what one or the other said. 

Besides the romance the book takes on a bit of a darker tone. In the summary it says: "But Silas has a sister-- and she has a secret." I wasn't expecting for mental illness to take a part of this book. Laurel has Solipsism disorder which basically means she believes reality is a dream. She created this life, and one day she will wake up and it will all have been a dream. Silas isn't real. West isn't real. God isn't real. It was really heart breaking to read, Laurel was an amazing character and she was obviously in pain. Which leads to this: Jackie managed to wedge a knife in my heart. I haven't cried for a book in a long time. The same night that West and Silas sneak off in the tower and have sex is the same night that Laurel drove her car off the bridge and though she didn't die instantly she did later that night. 

From there I predicted everything that was going to happen (Which was only 17% more of the book). I did how ever expect West and Silas to get back together in the end, which they don't. But I understand how Jackie left everything off for the reader. Truest bought forward a lot of questions about fate, and life, and taught lessons about friendship and family. Overall I will be looking forward to Jackie's writing in the future. 

Rating:




2 comments

  1. Ah, this totally sounds like a book for me. I love YA contemporary romances, and this one sounds like the perfect balance between "lighter" topics and "heavier" ones. Thanks for the review, Amber! I'll definitely be checking this one out. :-)

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for this one. I know there is a cheating element and some people have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to that... but it's not a deal breaker for me. It's real life. It happens. People make bad decisions and deal with the consequences. Really looking forwrad to having this one in hand next week.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️