ARC Review: Crystal Kingdom by Amanda Hocking

Title: Crystal Kingdom (Kanin Chronicles #3)
Author: Amanda Hocking 
Genre: Fantasy 
Source: NetGalley 
Publisher: St. Martin's Press 
Publication Date: August 4th 2015 
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-order it on Amazon 

Summary:
Bryn must decide: follow her head or her heart. Thrown into a world of suspense and intrigue, Bryn has to fight to clear her name. But she's not alone. With help from the Trylle - including Finn Holmes - she's on a quest to discover the truth. With her life and her world on the line, will Bryn be able to risk it all?

Liked:

  • It picks up right where Ice Kissed left off. 
  • I liked Bryn, she is fierce and kick ass. Even though half the time she wants to charge into stuff half blinded. Which was about half of this book. 
  • Konstantin played a HUGE role. We have heard about him and seen him briefly for two books. I was ready for a whole book with him in it. Amanda delivered him to us. 
  • I especially loved the Troll world. Amanda made all the tribes talked about well developed and talked about. 
  • A few characters from the Trylle trilogy return for some parts! It was great seeing Wendy, Loki, and Finn again! 

Disliked:

  • I feel like all the characters ran around and chased their tails for portions of this book. Like weren't they there doing the SAME thing in book two? 
  • Love triangle? Sort of? It is Obvious that Konstantin has feelings for Bryn, I am pretty sure she knew too. But it is thrown out there in two sentences. Not developed at all. It is obvious who Bryn was going to end up with, but it was like Amanda was like "Oh! let me add another love interest...Actually nevermind." 
  • The plot lagged in several places, and a lot of things were unnecessary or overly predictable. 
  • There was really no climax to the story. Yes, there was a rising action but it fell flat after that. The problem was taken care of in a few paragraphs. That was it. There was nothing else.
  • I am VERY unhappy with who Amanda killed off. Two of my favorite characters! *sobs* 

I am torn with this one. I either really liked it or I really didn't. I guess in this case it is safe to go with three stars? I had some expectations for this one and it fell short. I rated the second book three stars and had my concerns entering this book. Honestly, I'm not going to tell you not to read this series but I am not going to push it at you. The first book was strong and I LOVED it. But the series went down hill from there. 

Rating: 
(More like 2.5 stars)


6 comments

  1. Oh wait I'm seeing this review, after seeing your review of The Wrath and the Dawn, ignore the part in my comment on that review about Crystal Kingdom... wow. I had a feeling about Black, but hoped she wouldn't throw in the love triangle -_- Also the deaths, that does not sound good. I felt very meh about book two and had hoped that this one would lift the series back up (I enjoyed Frostfire!), but I guess I'll see later today (Friday) or tomorrow... my expectations have been significantly lowered O_O I hope you enjoy your next read, Amber! And very awesome review :)

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt meh about book two and was hesitant with going into this one. I guess it was a good reason to be. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Great review Amber! I feel like this book being so meh for a final book and sort-of-but-not-really introducing a love triangle so late into the trilogy... I'll probably be skipping this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book was really good. I just don't understand what happened....

      Delete
  3. Wow this sounds terrible. And now I'm scared to see who dies :/ 😣😱 I think Amanda should have given Konstantin more time in the first two books because he was the character I was most interested!! And that's just bad that the author is pushing for a love triangle at the very last book. Although makes me think I won't like, I'm still curious about it all ends lol :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Konstantin was a good character who needed more time.

      Delete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️