Review: The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6) by Richelle Mead


8709528

Title: The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6)
Author: Richelle Mead
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Hardcover, 348 Pages
Published February 2015
Publisher: Razorbill
Add it on Goodreads!
Summary: Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives. After their secret romance is exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi in this electrifying conclusion to Richelle Mead’s New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series. When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world. 
I still can't come to terms with the fact that this series is over (the extension from Vampire Academy, which I had a hard time letting go of as well *sad face*). However, despite how sad I am about this series coming to an end, I'm super excited for Richelle Mead's next project, Soundless, and The Ruby Circle itself left me feeling pretty happy. :-)

I loved the relationship between Adrian and Sydney in this book. The dynamics of their relationship are both so perfectly balanced, and they are both the literal definition of "opposites attract." Sydney is super organized and logical and careful, while Adrian is messy and sarcastic and funny and acts on a whim just because he feels that he can.

(However, it's officially been an entire six books that I've read with Adrian in them - plus the others from the Vampire Academy series - and I'm still not in love with him. I think he's alright. A good guy for Sydney. But to me, he's just "meh." Which really disappoints Amber because she's been telling me since I first picked up the Bloodlines series that by the end I would be head-over-heels in love with Adrian. I'm not. *shrugs* He's not a bad character, but he just isn't swoon-worthy to me.)

The Ruby Circle started off a bit slow for me, but it eventually progressed and dove into more details and picked up a little more. But the first few chapters of this book were definitely dry. Not much happening besides Adrian and Sydney complaining about their lack of privacy as newlyweds. 

As for some of the things I loved in this book (major spoilers ahead), I loved Rose and Dimitri's little announcement at the end. I was so excited, but I kind of wished that more would happen. After finding out that dhampirs could have children, I was hoping by the time the epilogue rolled around they would have tons of kids and be married already. But it's alright - I'll settle for an engagement, because I love Dimitri and Rose so much. :) I loved the little moments of passion between Adrian and Sydney, too!

As for what I didn't like, I HATED the fact that Neil ran off and left his son Declan behind. Whatever reasons and excuses he told Adrian and everyone else were total BS. You are a FATHER, and you don't run away and refuse to see your son. I know that Mead probably put this piece in as a plot twist (because it would be expected for Neil to welcome Declan with open arms), but I couldn't stand it. I definitely wasn't happy with it at all. The same with the fact that Nina never recovered from her overuse of spirit. It's the last book in a six-book (plus the Vampire Academy books) trilogy, for crying out loud! I want a happy ending! 

As for what I wish I knew, I wanted to know more about Rose and Dimitri's future and also about what happens between Sydney and her dad and her sister and her mom. That was a majorly ignored loose thread.

However, despite my unanswered questions and the few pieces of the ending that I wasn't that crazy about, The Ruby Circle was still a good book. A lot of mysteries get solved and a lot of important things get done, and Sydney has definitely progressed as a character from the first book to the last, going from being petrified and repulsed by vampires to going on to marry one.

All in all, The Ruby Circle was an enjoyable conclusion to the Bloodlines series that left me feeling semi-satisfied. I gave this book four stars rather than five because I was expecting just a little more to happen. I didn't think so many loose threads would be left, and the book itself just didn't feel like an epic conclusion. But the actual plot itself was great, and I'm super sad to finally finish the Vampire Academy/Bloodlines series. However, I'm super excited to get my hands on Richelle's next book, Soundless! (No vampires this time, though...*sad face*)

Rating: 

2 comments

  1. I liked this book less than you did and was incredibly disappointed because of this. The Bloodlines series was my favorite series for years but the last two books didn't feel quite as good as the previous ones. In The Ruby Circle nothing was really shocking, only smaller things like Neil leaving his own child behind but these all made me dislike the novel even more. I found the ending overly cheesy and pointless... I was hoping for Rose and Dimitri to get the chance to bring up Neil's child but of course not. Anyhow, I'm glad you liked this more than I did. :)
    Lovely review. :)
    Veronika @ Reading Is Dreaming With Open Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't even started Vampire Academy, I know, I know... I need to get on with the times! But I'm glad that you were mostly satisfied with the ending for this series! Now I know I have two series that I can binge read!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️